How to Shut Down Computer With Keyboard? 4 Easy Ways
Do you ever find yourself in a situation where you need to turn off your laptop or PC, but don’t have access to a mouse or touchpad? Maybe you’re on a plane, or in a meeting, and don’t want to draw attention to yourself by using the power button on the front of your laptop.
In these cases, it can be helpful to know how to shut down your computer with just your keyboard. In this blog post, we will show you how to do just that!
Is it safe to shut down pc using the keyboard?
As long as you follow the proper procedure, yes it is!
How to Shut Down Computer With Keyboard?
Here are the steps to properly shut down your computer using only your keyboard.
Also, read How to Unlock Keyboard In Windows When It’s Locked
Step 1 using (Alt +F4)
The first way to shut down your computer with just your keyboard is to use the Alt + F4 keys. This shortcut will bring up the “Close Program” window, which will allow you to choose how to close the active program. To shut down your computer, simply select “Shut Down” from the drop-down menu and hit Enter.
Step 2 using (Windows key + X)
1. Press the Windows key + X on your keyboard. This will open the Power User menu.
2. From the Power User menu, select Shut down or sign out option using arrow keys.
3. From the Shutdown or sign-out menu, hit enter key to Shut down.
4. Your computer will now shut down.
Step 3 using (Ctrl + Alt + Delete)
1. Press the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys on your keyboard.
2. In the pop-up menu, you can see the power icon right at the bottom.
3. Use the Tab key on the keyboard to change sections.
4. Use the arrow keys to select the power icon and press Enter key to shut down your pc.
Step 4 shutdown computer using command prompt
- Press Windows key + R then will open the Run program popup.
- Type cmd and hit enter key.
- Here type “shutdown -s” and press enter key.
- Your computer will shut down automatically.
Step 5 (Windows key + X > U > U) best way to shut down quickly
This is the easiest way to shut down your pc quickly. but this way works only for windows 8 and windows 10 versions. but you can try this in other windows versions.
- Press Windows key + X then will appear power user menu.
- Now hit the U key twice on the keyboard.
- And that’s all, the computer will shut down.
Read to know How to Fix Getting Windows Ready Stuck – 10 Ways
How do I force a shutdown?
If you want to force a shutdown, you can do so by pressing and holding the power button on your computer for about 5-10 seconds. This will forcibly shut down your computer and may result in data loss if you have unsaved files open.
How do I turn off my laptop without shutting it down?
To turn off your laptop without shutting it down, you can simply put it into Sleep mode. To do this, press the Windows key + X on your keyboard and then select the Sleep option from the menu. Alternatively, you can just close the lid of your laptop if it is in Sleep mode.
How do I turn off my computer if it is frozen?
If your computer is frozen and you can’t turn it off by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete, you can try holding down the power button for about 5-10 seconds. or, switch off the main electricity line on your pc. These options are not recommended.
What is a hard shutdown?
A hard shutdown or force shutdown is when you turn off your computer by holding down the power button for about 5-10 seconds.
How do I force my laptop to shut down?
Not recommend, but if you want to force your laptop to shut down, you need to press and hold the power button few seconds to shut it down.
How to turn off computer with keyboard Chromebook?
Chromebooks have a different process for shutting down the computer with the keyboard. To do this, press and hold the Ctrl + Alt + Shift + Power keys simultaneously. After about 3 seconds, your Chromebook will power off.
How to turn off the computer with keyboard mac?
To shut down your Mac with just the keyboard, press and hold the Command + Option + Control + Power keys simultaneously. After about 3 seconds, your Mac will power off.
How can I turn off my PC without a keyboard?
If you don’t have a keyboard, you can’t turn off your PC without using the power button or mouse.
Know more about shortcuts and windows features.